White Seas Background

Friday, July 15, 2011

Introductions

Every class year begins with introductions, so that is where I will start. My name is Tammy and I recently graduated from the University of Phoenix with a Master's in Education. I have not yet secured a position in a school, but that does not mean I have given up hope! I am viewing this as a chance to prepare myself with further research in the educational fields and to create lesson plans for use in the future. I have dreamed of being an educator since I was in elementary school. I know it is not the most high-paying career choice, but it is a choice that I put off for far too long. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a child "get it" for the first time.

As a student teacher I felt very connected to the students. When my 12 weeks were over the students still had a few weeks of school left. I went back to see their kindergarten graduation and was moved to tears when they came running to me at the end. One little boy that had given me numerous headaches and heartaches actually left the stage to tell his mom that I was there. He gave me a hug afterward. Those are the moments teachers live for and the rest of the time they instill knowledge and give inspiration.

I am currently volunteering in Sunday School classes for students in my local church. I will take what I learn from them and bring it to you. This is a tough bunch of kids! Don't let the whole church thing fool you. These kids come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, with learning difficulties  and advancements just like you would find anywhere else. The subject matter is different, but the process remains the same.

My philosophy is that EVERY child CAN learn, regardless of demographics, background, or previous school experiences. I think people are far too eager to give up and label students because they have not had a chance to show what they really know. I will not always have the best chance at unlocking that potential, but I would like to know that I did my best to help a child understand they are special, they have potential, they are good at something, and someday they will be able to show that.

This blog is dedicated to research, lesson plans, and other insights I discover along the way. I hope you enjoy it and find something interesting in it. If you quote something from me, please let me know! I freely offer quotes and will post a properly formatted reference for you to use in your papers. Please leave comments and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment